Monday, August 24, 2009

Inaymommy's Bulanglang

"I always miss home. I always miss my family. I always miss my mom's lutong bahay... "

My mom cooked Bulanglang last weekend. Almost all the ingredients were freshly picked from her garden. The dish is guaranteed healthy and organic. So here it is.


INGREDIENTS:

1 small size papaya, sliced
2 cups kalabasa (squash), cut into wedges
1 bundle kangkong
1 medium sized tomato, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
6-8 cup rice stock (water from washing rice)
salt
vetsin (msg)

(Important: Make sure to wash all the vegetables)

You can also add the following if available:

1 bundle malunggay leaves, removed from stem
1 bundle sitaw (string beans), cut into 2” length
2 bundle sigarillas (also know as kalamismis), cut into wedges
1 bundle okra, cut into wedges


COOKING PROCEDURE:

Boil rice stock in a large pot, add garlic and tomato. Cook until tomato becomes soggy. Add kalabasa and simmer until it is firm tender. Add papaya continue simmering until cooked. Season with salt and vetsin to taste. Serve immediately. Best served with dried fish or tuyo (specifically sapsap or hawut).

No comments:

Post a Comment