Monday, August 17, 2009

Why watermelon makes my mouth water

One of the most interesting thing in my mom's little home garden is the Watermelon. As we all know, it is a summer fruit. But my mom was able to successfully grow it this third quarter of the year which is supposedly rainy. According to her, she planted the seed in the most fertile area of our backyard. Then she just watered it regularly until it grew a little larger than a basketball.


Last friday, my mom told me she already picked the watermelon from the vine. 'Ang tamis!(so sweet!)' she said. So when I got home, the first thing I asked about was the famous fruit. And yes, it was very sweet and very red too.



FAQ: So, how do you know when a watermelon is ripe? Most people tap on the fruit, and listen for a dull thump. If you grow many of them, this is an art form. Other signs include: Ceasing of growth, yellowing of the underside and drying or shriveling of the stem near the base of the fruit. (resource: gardenersnet.com)

3 comments: